Saturday, November 24, 2012

always finding home

 Me, baby in belly, and soon to be Uncle Jason

Ah, the Thanksgiving feast has been served, leftovers sit in the refrigerator, and my heart feels full.

We spent Thanksgiving at my brother's home in Tennessee.  My mom and Aunt Cindy also met us there.  I can always find home where my family gathers.  Thanksgiving dinner never seems to be in the same place each year, but that is something that I reflected on being thankful for on our drive back to Virginia.  It used to be a struggle to let go of how things "used to be", especially around the Holidays but over the years I have learned that this was a gift in disguise.  Home is where you make it.  It doesn't matter if it is with your *new* family, in a different house, a restaurant, or sitting in a hotel making turkey sandwiches.  It isn't made up of four walls, or fancy place settings--those are just all distractions of what is really important.   It is being around the people that love you unconditionally.  That is what I felt this Thanksgiving.  I was surrounded by my brother, sister in law, nephews, mom, aunt, and husband--all who I love so dearly.  I thought about our baby and how lucky she is to be born into a family who loves each other so much.  I missed the family and friends that I couldn't be with, but I was so happy to get to spend the day visiting with my brother and his family, who I don't get to see as much as we would all like. 

This stuck out in my mind tonight as what I was grateful for the most this year.  Always finding home.   


(we asked a man if he would snap this picture of all of us.  he said, "Sure.  1.2.3. Say Shit!"  It was a really?? moment for sure.)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...