Tuesday, June 28, 2011

bears and mountains


I am back from the best staycation EVER.  I didn't have anything planned except for a loverly hike in the blue ridge mountains.    




We hiked to the top of Hawksbill Mountain, which happens to be the highest peak in the Shenandoah National Park.   It was a short but steep hike.  I kept up with my hike with Endomondo, a new little phone gadget that a friend recommended.  It records how many miles you have hiked.  It also tracks a host of workouts.  I'm getting so tech savy. :)  

OH, and just a little fashion tip for you guys:  Wearing crew hiking socks really highlights the stump look.  You know, where your legs & ankles look like they have no definition--just stumps.  hotness.  

This was my bug spray dance.  It was more exciting in person. 

Since this is my blog and you weren't on the hike with us (or were you???hrmmmmm) I can make up a story and tell you that I took this picture after a really tough hill and that's why I look so worn out.  But in reality I think this is just me sans makeup in the morning trying to force Andrew to take a picture with me.   

pretty pretty.  



So this isn't a picture I took.  Surprise.  BUT we did see a big black bear.  I was in front of Andrew going down a trail and I looked up and BOOM....black bear.  Right in front of me.  I swear it was 10 ft. away and very large.  Andrew's side of the story is that it was 50 ft. away and a teenager bear.  Whatev.  Believe who you want, this bear sighting was a little too close for comfort.  I wanted to take a picture but I was freaking out a little and just held my phone close to my chest waiting to have to use it as a weapon.  We hooted and hollar'd and the big guy ran away.  
Nevertheless I was super excited to see my first bear of the year!  It's good luck they say!  

Happy trails!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you are wicked funny and i love reading your blog!

Valerie said...

i am jealous that you can use the term "wicked". My southern ass just can't pull it off.

PJH said...

I am so glad you are liking your Endomondo. I would have died if I saw a bear!

Valerie said...

i love endomondo! What are you going to do when we start going on hikes?!! You will for sure see a bear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...