Thursday, December 17, 2009

"The landscape demands our attention. It silences us."



Last night on one of our many weekly rides, I sat in the passenger seat of the truck with my head tilted as far as it could go back. I stared up into the sky of the Shenandoah Valley. The stars were burning bright.


Oh, that sky. If you live in an area where you can see that stars in the sky and nothing else when you lift your head, count yourself lucky. I do.


If you live in a city, jump in the car and find a back road- now.


Tonight, after a troubling day, I lifted my head in the night sky as Andrew drove down to the front field to hay the horses. The stars were shining bright again for the second night in a row.


I am in awe of those twinkling lights.


Then I came home to read this on my friend Michael's blog. I can call him a friend because I heard him read one of his stories on a local NPR station and I stalked him down to tell him how much I enjoyed it AND he emailed me back.


That constitutes friendship, right?


Anyways, this sums up the feeling that I have had, watching those stars. He is a very talented writer and I am so glad that I stalked him down and started to follow his blog, One Lucky Man.


Read "Where there are miracles" here, grab some sky and stare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Valerie --

Of course, it constitutes friendship. I'm really struck by the way my post seemed to have fit so well into your life. What a happy coincidence ... or is it a miracle? :-)

Be well, and have a happy, happy holiday.

Michael

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...