Tuesday, April 24, 2012

take me on your next road trip.

Today I got over 2 hours away from my house on an overnight work trip just to realize that I did not pack my bag.  Wait.  I did pack my bag, but this morning I asked Andrew to help me out to the car, nodding at my bag, and neither of us realized it was left before I drove off to wild, wonderful, West Virginia.  Can't blame him, except for when I did the first 15 minutes after he called.  Exciting news is that I got to buy some new makeup that was poorly matched to my skin tone and a pair of respectable middle-aged khakis.  It was a weird day.  

I am in Charleston, West Virginia and it looks like a pretty typical mountain city, except the big, tall buildings.  My hotel room has been my refuge tonight.  Free wi-fi, good chinese delivery, and a big screen t.v.  I can do this for one night.  

I always think before I go on a trip how it will be "fun" to get away.  Have some alone time to just...be.  But then I get to a new city and freeze.  Where am I?  What am I doing?  I feel my face radiating as EVERYONE knows that I don't know what I am doing either.  That's when I decided I needed to pick up that handy little wine shooter that was, to my delightful surprise, in a basket beside the check out counter at Rite Aid where I was also picking up mascara, a toothbrush, toothpaste, contact solution, conditioner, a brush, and many, many, kit-kat bars.  

Now I can't seem to fall asleep because I have binged on the Internet and I feel 1 part self loathing 2 parts gross.  

Kidding.  That last sentence was a little dramatic.  But I am all wired up.  Or wired in.  Isn't that the tech word they use on The Social Network?  

Any who.  Tomorrow is a brand new day.  I will wake up by the sound of the hotel ring, hazily go down to the free continental breakfast, and try to smuggle as much of the goods as I can upstairs so I can lay in bed fisting muffins into my mouth while watching the morning news. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...