Monday, July 8, 2013

lunch with heifetz


We went on an adventure today to the Heiftz International Music Institute in Staunton.  The Heifetz International Music Institute is "dedicated to the artistic growth and career development of some of the most talented and promising young musicians in the world."  I've heard nothing but great things so I was excited to take Everly to listen to some live music and their free brown bag lunch concert fit well for our schedule.  

Ev was really into it, as much as a 4 month old can be, and we were able to stay for about half of the pieces before I felt like she was going to start on a babbling roll. One piece got really quiet and I started panicking that she would rip a big wet one right there in the room and how would that NOT interrupt a performance?  But she held it all in strong like a champ.  

After we left we walked around to the back of the Woodrow Wilson Library and took a seat in the shade to nurse.  One of the students had walked outside the back to tune his violin and warm up and he ended up playing for us.  It was like a little private performance.  Ev was so happy being outside and listening to the music.  It was one of those moments where I felt like I was exactly where I wanted to be in life.   


Hanging out in the back ready for a fast escape.  

Maybe she was over it by this point...

secret picture of our private concert.  

a "balfie"
 baby + selfie.  They seem more acceptable than just a selfie.  Maybe?  Maybe not.  



One thing I don't think I realized was how hard it would be to venture out of the house after the baby came.  It is so much more difficult and nerve-wracking than expected.  Will she cry?  Will she need to nurse?  Will people be cool with me nursing?  Will there be some place that I can change her?  The list goes on and on.  But I think it is very important for stay at home moms or dads to get out.  My friend gave me the best advice:  only go on one stop per day.  Then when you get home and put the baby down for a nap, have a nice cold beer waiting for you to de-stress.  (okay that last part is my advice.)    


Speaking of nursing in public, I saw this today on Facebook and it was by far one of the most powerful pieces I have seen on the subject.  Check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/05/hollie-mcnish-breastfeeding_n_3552062.html

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...